History of Red Crags Bed & Breakfast
Built circa 1874 by Dr. William Bell, the founder of Manitou Springs, Red Crags originally served as a wellness clinic for the English wealthy who flocked to Manitou Springs, Colorado, "the Saratoga of the Rockies." Around the turn of the century, Teddy Roosevelt frequently visited Red Crags. Very little is known about Teddy Roosevelt's visits, though it is said he came to hunt the big horn sheep on Pikes Peak.
In the summer of 1924 and 1925, the artist Berger Sanzen occupied part of the house. He was associated with Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas. He also taught art in a Colorado Springs art school. Over the years these classes evolved into the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center.
Since the 1880's Red Crags has twice served as a wellness clinic. Then, in 1951, it became known as Red Crags Lodge. This is the first known time that the Victorian home was used for vacationers to the area. Located in the historic district, it has also been a private home, apartment house, office building and a girls' home. The current owner, Kevin Maddox, turned Red Crags into a Bed & Breakfast in 1990. Kevin's brother, Brett Maddox serves as the Executive Director for Red Crags Estates,
overseeing the continued premium customer service for all guests.
The old Carriage House, built around 1910 and used as a marionette theater in the 1970's, was renovated in 1998 with two luxury suites being added. These have been the favorite of many honeymoon and anniversary celebrations. The bed & breakfast inn now has eight bedrooms and suites for visiting guests.